This is Ritwika and I wanted to let you guys know what Renaissance Now is working on right now. As you all know we had visited Kolkatta to meet many underprivileged artisans in April, 2009. Now, we are planning to go back to Kolkatta near November to hold a training workshop for the artists we had met last time who work with jute and who wood carve. Here is what we plan to teach them:
- Show them how to use modern tools (such as Amish looms, or rotary tools)
- Teach them new methods that are used internationally to make beautiful handicrafts (such as Chinese knotting)
- Teach them on quality assurance and the importance on making their product easier to use and more durable (such as using S-hooks to use as clasps for necklaces)
- Give them statistics on what products are most popular in their area
- Teach them the importance of product marketing (such as packaging)
I am currently training to be one of the trainees for the workshop. I have learned how to crochet using modern looms and also learned many techniques on how to knot and braid to make beautiful designs.
YOU can help us by giving us other ideas on how to help these artisans exceed in selling their handiworks more sufficiently, or give us more creative designs and ideas they can use. We are also looking for more trainees or assistants who will help us train these artisans. If you are interested, please contacts us ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to have us on our team going back to Kolkatta near November, 2009.